Cogitations on Computation
Honors Nature of Science, Technology, & Mathematics
- Brightspace: Where you can access class screengrab video links and check your grades
- We will look at some lessons from Khan Academy
- We will write code using Repl.it and possibly CodePen
- How to Ask Questions the Smart Way: Follow these tips to improve the quality and efficiency of the help that you get
- Dr. Philip Dorin’s email screed: A practical companion to “How to Ask Questions the Smart Way,” appropriate not only for email but all electronic text-based communication in general
Assignment 0122 YouTube, repl.it, and CodePen account
listing: 20 points
Video journal entries
(roughly every other Friday, except for the week of Easter break): 0125, 0208,
0222, 0308, 0322, 0405, 0416, 0503 (overall recap)
0322: Reflect on what you have learned in class in light of
this blog post
- Of the links embedded, read at least the crowd-sourced Twitter feed of the actual talk…
- …and the speaker’s own mini-summary
- Do some Research & Exhibition review (or foreshadowing) on the speaker/blogger, Mark Guzdial—who is he? What is he known for? What are his credentials? What is his expertise?
- Follow at least one of the other embedded links depending on what interests you, and reference this/these link(s) on your video: Why did you find it interesting? Does it relate at all to what we’ve been doing in this class?
- Overall, would you agree or disagree with the speaker’s vision on the role of computer science in 21st-century literacy? (especially considering your exposure to it in this course so far)
- 0405: Recap your overall game-creation experience, plus start reading Alan Turing’s seminal work “Computing Machinery and Intelligence:” Global Thermonuclear War.
- 0322: Reflect on what you have learned in class in light of this blog post
- Programming/technical assignments (details TBD as the class develops):